The Confederation of Ilocano Association, Incorporated, Samahang Ilokano (CIASI) or Samahang Ilokano (SI) is a fraternity and sorority composed of students from colleges and universities in the northern part of the Philippines. Members are either of Ilocano lineage and/or have the capability of speaking and understanding the Ilocano dialect.
The Samahang Ilokano is the result of a history that spans several decades. As a community-oriented organization, the Samahang Ilokano's philosophy is deeply rooted in ethics and Filipino value
Samahang Ilokano was originally founded in the late 1950s as a fraternity for unity between Ilocano students. Students from Ilocos Norte/Sur and other provinces in Northern Luzon would pursue higher education in universities away from home and seek fellow Ilocanos for company and protection.
Unity and Expansion
During martial law, the leaders and founders of the different groups agreed to unite the three organizations. This led to the creation of an umbrella organization, registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission under the name "Confederation of Ilocano Association, Incorporated" as a non-stock, non-profit and non-dividend corporation. (Members of the UI and GIG often do not associate with this name, and instead prefer their respective original faction names.)
Most members of CIASI became professionals, which gave the opportunity for the group to diversify into factions of the following types within the organization: international, military, professional, women's auxiliary, out-of-school youths, and students.
Despite significant changes within the structure, the ultimate purpose of the Samahang Ilokano still stands: an organization to cradle the Ilocanos.
- Promote excellence among its members through brotherhood;
- Undertake projects and activities that shall enhance the abilities and potentials of members;
- Encourage the promotion of sports development projects and support the program of the government;
- Initiate educational seminars, civic & social welfare action and manpower training services;
- Promote discipline, unity and cooperation among members;
- Initiate and undertake civic and humanitarian officers for their re-outstanding achievement;
- Sponsor sports festival activities, leadership training, seminars and symposium
- Public service above self;
- Respect and protect the basic rights, lives and properties of all mankind;
- Uphold the rule of law and defend the Constitution of the Philippines;
- Promote peace and understanding among fellowmen;
- Actively support the government and other legitimate organizations both local and foreign in promoting active- nonviolent society as a practical means towards sustainable socio-economic development under a truly, just, united, peaceful healthy, and democratic society;
- Uplift the economic condition of the members through development of their skills and organizing leadership for alternative;
- Multi-livelihood programs as a means to continually educate its members;
- Uphold, respect and defend the dignity, sanctity, integrity of the natural world and the quality of life for all by creating and expanding spaces for peace;
- Rescue victims of drug dependents and prostitutions;
- Advocate the preservation of life, natural resources, environment health awareness, for a healthy, peaceful and progressive community to live on;
- Develop a sense of personal responsibility and stimulating the desire for responsible citizen.